Maine Coons are the largest domesticated cat breed in the world and have adapted to live in the cold winter climate of Maine, United States.
Since these big furry felines are more physically suited to living in the cold, you might ask can Maine Coons live in India, where the weather is significantly warmer?
Maine Coons can live in India. Despite being associated with colder regions of the world, Maine Coon cats can survive just about anywhere across the planet, be it in cold or hot regions. The trick to ensuring a Maine Coon survives in hot countries involves giving them the extra care they need.
If you live in a hot climate like India but are eager to own a Maine Coon cat, you will need to consider a range of different factors to help your cat survive the intense heat, for example, providing your cat with extra water.
Keep reading to discover everything you need to know about how to care for a Maine Coon cat in hot countries, such as India.
Can Maine Coons Live In India?
Maine Coon cats are unique felines loved by many people across the world, thanks to their loving personality, laid-back nature, and stunning looks.
Their large physical build is thought to be due to their slow growth rate, which allows them to develop considerably large muscles and bone structures.
The Maine Coon’s unusual size is also associated with the breed’s wild origins in the cold state of Maine, United States (read more about their origins here).
It is hypothesized that Maine Coons grew bigger than other cat breeds, and developed their prominent long, thick fur as a mechanism to survive the cold climates.
Their large bodies also helped them retain more body heat, whereas their thick semi-water repellent coats help to keep them warm in inclement weather.
With so many physical features enabling and protecting the Maine Coon cat breed during cold climatic conditions, it is no surprise that this breed, for the most part, has always been associated more closely with cold climates.
But, can this furry cat breed also live successfully in hot countries? And more to the point, can Maine Coons survive in India?
Well, the truth of the matter is that a Maine Coons temperature tolerance allows them to survive in a wide range of temperatures.
In fact, many cat specialists believe this large cat breed can tolerate temperatures between 30 – 100 degrees Fahrenheit!
Whilst a Maine Coon might be able to physically survive in India’s hot weather, that is not to say that it will be easy for them.
Instead, owners must consider many factors before bringing a Maine Coon into their home.
Below are some initial considerations that owners living in India need to consider to enable their Maine Coon cat to survive in India:
- Water: To survive in a hot country, the Maine Coon will almost certainly need more water than the standard cat drinks. Maine Coon must therefore have access to an unlimited supply of running freshwater.
- Sunburn: This cat breed are vulnerable to sunburn, so owners must be careful when they groom their cat.
- Shade: Your Maine Coon cat will require cool shaded areas within the home, to retreat to whenever they need to cool down, or sleep. Air conditioning is a must.
- Outside: Owners must ensure that their Maine Coon does not spend a great deal of time outside, in the intense heat.
Here are some other great ways to keep a Maine Coon cat feeling cool during the hot summer months.
Ultimately, this breed will need the utmost care when the weather approaches the extreme ends of the temperature tolerance levels stated above.
With that in mind, it is safe to say that Maine Coon cats can comfortably live in India as long as they receive adequate care from their human family.
How Hot Is Too Hot For Cats?
Maine Coons are well-built for living in cold climates.
Therefore, owners living in countries where the weather is warm to hot all year round may wish to know if Maine Coons like hot weather, before bringing a Maine Coon into their home environment.
The simple answer to this is that Maine Coon cats can tolerate hot weather with no serious issue.
Surprisingly, their thick fur, which many think would be a hindrance in the heat, actually helps keep these felines cool when the temperature outside gets too high.
If you live within the tropics and are considering owning a Maine Coon, it is imperative to understand the ideal temperature for Maine Coon cats before bringing one into your home:
- 45 Degrees Fahrenheit: These adaptive cats will survive and enjoy an environment with temperatures above 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 100 Degrees Fahrenheit: Although it cannot be proved whether they like hot weather or not, weather above 100 degrees Fahrenheit; is considered too hot for your cat.
How Do Cats Cool Down In Hot Weather?
Whilst a Maine Coon cat can thrive extremely well if living in hot weather conditions, they will also need ways to keep themselves cool.
Thankfully, Maine Coon cats are well-versed in regulating their heat and cooling themselves down.
Below is how cats cool down in hot weather:
1. Drinking Plenty Of Water
Maine Coon cats love water and are fascinated with just about anything to do with water. Learn more about this quirky personality trait in my article.
In hot weather, a Maine Coon cat will appreciate having access to plenty of clean, preferably running, water.
Your cat will instinctively drink more water than the standard cat breed in order to keep itself hydrated and cool.
While many people are tempted to think that the Maine Coon’s long, thick fur will be a hindrance when it is hot outside, the opposite is actually true.
The Maine Coon cat’s thick fur actually traps air, which in turn helps keep the cat cool when the weather is hot outside.
You can help your cat benefit from its thick fur further, by grooming it on a regular basis.
This is beneficial to your Maine Coon since grooming reduces the dead fur stuck within their dense fur, which might cause your cat to suffer from the heat (source 1).
When the weather is hot, cats sweat through their noses and pads to release body heat and keep themselves cool.
4. Sleep Position
Maine Coons have many odd sleeping positions, but one of the sleeping positions that helps them cool down is sleeping whilst stretched out.
5. Sleeping In Shady And Cool Areas
When it is hot outside, your cat will move to the shady or cooler places within your home and lay there.
For example, if you have a tiled floor, you will likely find your Maine Coon cat laying on the tiles. This is because tile floors tend to stay cooler, even when it is very hot.
Keeping A Maine Coon Cool
Maine Coons know how to regulate their body temperatures, especially when it comes to cooling down.
However, there are still a few things that owners can do to help their cats stay cool, which do not require the installation of an expensive air conditioner device within the home.
This is how to keep cats cool in summer without AC:
1. Provide A Lot Of Water
Maine Coons drink a lot more water to keep themselves cool in hot weather.
In this regard, make sure your cat has access to enough water throughout the day, even if it means providing an extra water dish or installing a cat water fountain.
A Maine Coon living in hot weather will require more grooming to remove the dead fur that can weigh the feline down and cause their internal body temperature to rise.
Therefore, if you live in India, grooming your cat frequently will help cool them down.
3. Provie Plenty Of Shade
Cats will move to shaded areas when the temperature is high.
Therefore, owners must ensure their home has plenty of shady cool spots where their cat can seek refuge when the temperature is hot.
4. Cooling Mats
Make sure you invest in some cooling mats for your Maine Coon cat.
Cooling mats are important as they provide your cat with a place to lay when the weather gets too hot.
Signs Of Heatstroke In Cats
Heatstroke and hyperthermia are conditions that occur when the cat’s body temperature rises above 105 degrees Fahrenheit.
A Maine Coon suffering from either heat stroke or hyperthermia is a serious concern since these are life-threatening conditions that require immediate medical attention.
- Unusual redness of the mouth and tongue
- Difficulty walking
- Seizures and eventual loss of consciousness
- Bruising around the abdomen
- Muscle tremors
- Rapid breathing
What To Do If Cat Has Heatstroke
Heatstroke poses a serious risk to the lungs of an affected Maine Coon feline.
This cat health problem requires immediate action.
If you suspect your Maine Coon has hyperthermia, book an appointment with your vet immediately, whilst also trying to lower your feline’s body temperature using the following methods:
- Cooling Mat: Place your Maine Coon on a cooling mat
- Damp Cloths: Apply damp cloths across your cat’s body
- Submerge: Maine Coons have semi-water repellent fur, so if they are used to being bathed (and do not mind this), you can submerge some of your infected cats body in cool water to help reduce its body temperature.
- Shade: Place your cat in a shaded area.
- Drink: Encourage your cat to drink water. Depending upon the situation, you may be forced to use a syringe to help your cat drink water.
Can A Cat Recover From Heatstroke?
Heatstroke is a life-threatening condition for cats. However, unless it causes organ damage, a cat should fully recover from it.
But, how long does it take a cat to recover from heatstroke?
If your cat suffered heatstroke and their high body temperature lasted for a long time, make sure you get a vet to check your cat for possible organ damage. Be aware that organ damage takes time to manifest.
All in all, your cat should recover from hyperthermia within 2 to 3 days.
If the condition lasts longer than three days though, ask a vet to assess your cat so that they can diagnose possible further issues with your feline.
Importantly, cats that suffer from heatstroke are more susceptible to getting it again, so make sure your cat does not get exposed to things that trigger heatstroke (source 1).
How Much Is A Maine Coon In India?
If you want to purchase a Maine Coon in India, you can expect the Maine Coon price in rupees to be over Rs. 15,000, depending on the breeder you select, and the city you purchase your Maine Coon from.
- Maine Coon cat price in Delhi: 40,000 to 45,000 INR
- Maine Coon cat price in Mumbai: 40,000 to 45,000 INR
- Maine Coon cat price in Bangalore: 40,000 to 45,000 INR
Where To Buy Maine Coon Cat In India
The secret to buying a purebred Maine Coon cat is finding a registered breeder like these ones.
If you are searching for a Maine Coon kitten for sale in India, here are some ideal places to check:
- Breeders: Although there are not as many Maine Coon breeders in India, you can stil find breeders relatively easily by searching online. Most breeders have set up online shops where buyers can look at the available Maine Coon cats and purchase a cat of their choice. You can also import from overseas.
- Adoption / Rescue Centers: There are many rescue centers throughout India where you can find Maine Coon cats. Just enquire, and you may be lucky to find a purebred Maine Coon at a lower price.
- Pet Stores: You may be lucky and find a Maine Coon cat in a pet store in your city. So, why not call the nearest store and ask about Maine Coon kittens. You may get a lead, even if the store does not sell this cat breed specifically.
If you are not sure where to start when it comes to buying a Maine Coon kitten or cat, make sure you read my complete guide to purchasing one of these stunning felines.
Are you Indian planning to buy a Maine Coon, but wondering can Maine Coons live in India? If so, you are in luck!
Whilst Maine Coons are well-built for the colder areas of the world, they can also survive in hotter countries, including India.
If you are stuck trying to decide whether or not to buy a Maine Coon kitten in India, hopefully, you will have found this post helpful.