If purchasing a Maine Coon from a breeder is too expensive, then Maine Coon adoption might be the best way for you to get the cat of your dreams!
Cats from breeders can cost up to $2,500, but because there are always cats in need of adoption, it’s possible you can still bring home a Maine Coon of your very own.
It is rare to find a Maine Coon cat up for adoption, but rescue cats are often thousands of dollars cheaper than purchasing a Maine Coon from a breeder. There are also a number of rescue centers specifically centered around finding homes for Maine Coon cats.
Sadly, even though it’s possible to find a Maine Coon up for adoption, it is often a difficult process.
This cat breed is highly coveted, and Maine Coons in shelters are usually the first to be adopted. Still, with enough dedication and patience, it’s possible to find the Maine Coon of your dreams!
Read on to find out the best way to adopt a Maine Coon cat.
Maine Coon Adoption
Most people obtain Maine Coons by purchasing them from a registered breeder.
While there are benefits to purchasing Maine Coons from a breeder (such as learning your cat’s purebred lineage), it is also very pricey, sometimes costing over $2,000!
As a result, some people might choose to adopt a Maine Coon instead. For more information about selecting a Maine Coon breeder, read my article “Maine Coon Breeders You Can Trust“.
The biggest notable difference between adopting and purchasing a Maine Coon from a breeder is price. Adopting a Maine Coon will typically only cost between $100 and $250.
Another added benefit, however, is that most shelters will spay/neuter their cats, and vaccinations and microchips are included in the final cost of the cat.
Since most shelters will not have a Maine Coon’s pedigree record, however, that means you won’t be able to take your Maine Coon to shows. If you plan on getting a show cat, the only real option is to purchase one from a registered breeder.
A lot of people are attracted to the Maine Coon for its personality and beautiful appearance, rather than being interested in breeding or cat shows.
If you are the kind of person who is more interested in the gentle, dog-like personality and intelligence of a Maine Coon, then adoption might be the best option for you!
Still, adopting a Maine Coon does have a major downside:
- They’re very difficult to find!
- While there are quite a few Maine Coons who do end up in shelters, it is a highly coveted breed that is usually the first to be adopted.
- It will probably take a lot of time and patience before you’re finally able to find a Maine Coon of your own!
To increase your chances of finding a Maine Coon for adoption, you should diversify your search. There are three different ways you can adopt a Maine Coon cat:
- Through a regular shelter
- Through a special Maine Coon rescue
- Your local community
How Much Does It Cost To Adopt A Maine Coon Cat?
On average, a Maine Coon cat from a breeder will cost anywhere from $500 to $2,500.
If you adopt a Maine Coon from a shelter, however, you will only have to pay the shelter price.
Most shelters charge between $100 and $250 per cat, and they come fully vaccinated, spayed/neutered, and with a microchip!
Where Can I Adopt A Maine Coon Cat Or Kitten?
When I was looking for a Maine Coon of my own, I first searched for Maine Coon adoption near me.
It is important to search locally for any rescue groups or shelters near you before casting a wider net.
Here are some Maine Coon rescues and their various locations.
East Coast Maine Coon Rescue
East Coast Maine Coon Rescue spans a variety of states on the East Coast of America.
They specialize in purebred and mixed Maine Coons waiting to find their forever homes.
Maine Coon Rescue
Maine Coon Rescue is an American rescue located in Kentucky. However, the rescue is dedicated to matching Maine Coons with potential owners all over the United States!
The Maine Coon Cat Club
The Maine Coon Cat Club is a UK-based organization that seeks to provide information about the Maine Coon breed. They also promote Maine Coon rescues who are in need of a home.
The Maine Coon Breed Society
The Maine Coon Breed society is also based in the UK. While primarily a breeding organization, they also keep an eye out for any Maine Coons needing to be rehomed.
Steps To Follow When Adopting A Maine Coon Kitten Or Cat
Bringing home a cat or kitten is a process that should be taken carefully to ensure your cat is safe and healthy every step of the way.
Here are the steps you should follow when bringing home a cat.
- Make Sure You’re Ready: Before deciding to adopt a cat, it’s important that all of your household members are also okay with a cat living in the home. Make sure you are financially and emotionally prepared for a cat. It’s important to determine early on who will be most responsible for the cat’s care and wellbeing, as well.
- Find A Reputable Shelter: While it’s possible to find Maine Coons available for “adoption” on sites like Craigslist, these are often the result of backyard breeders looking to make a quick buck. Do lots of research into potential shelters or people before choosing a place that you feel is safe.
- Ask Questions: It’s especially important to ask questions about your new cat or kitten. If you’re adopting from someone online, ask about vaccinations, deworming, and other medical history questions. If you’re adopting from a shelter, ask about their policies for veterinary care.
- Choose A Cat: When you’re sure you’ve found a rescue or person who is reputable and safe, it’s time to choose a cat! It can sometimes take a while before a Maine Coon becomes available, so it’s best to stay sharp in case someone sends in an adoption application before you!
Maine Coon Rescue USA
There is a variety of Maine Coon rescues located all over the United States!
Here are some different places dedicated specifically to Maine Coon adoption:
|US State||Business |
Name / Contact
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact Name: N/A
Phone: (480) 666-5501
|The Arizona Maine |
Coon Cat Rescue is a
dedicated to finding
forever homes for Maine
|Kentucky||Maine Coon |
Location: Woodstock, KY
Contact Name: N/A
|Maine Coon Rescue is |
based in Kentucky, but
spans the the entirety
of the United States in
order to pair Maine
Coons are available for
adoption with their
|Only Maine |
Location: Absecon, NJ
Contact Name: N/A
|Only Maine Coons |
Rescue is located
in Absecon, New
Jersey, but participates
in a wide variety of
Delaware and Maryland.
|Texas||Merlin’s Hope |
Maine Coon Rescue
Location: Ennis, TX
Contact Name: N/A
|This non-profit shelter |
is dedicated to rescuing
both Ragdoll and Maine
If you don’t have any luck adopting a Maine Coon kitten, make sure to check out my article on registered Maine Coon breeders in the United States.
I have sorted the breeders per state, to simplify the process of finding potential Maine Coon cat breeders located near to where you live.
Where Can I Find Maine Coon Kittens For Free?
Are you looking for a Maine Coon kitten, but don’t want to pay the price of a breeder?
Here are some potential options for finding free Maine Coon kittens.
- Facebook: Facebook is a great site for finding kittens! Oftentimes people will end up with unwanted litter, and instead of sending the kittens to a shelter, they’ll give them away for free. Certain regions will even have whole Facebook groups dedicated to pet adoption.
- Craigslist: While it is possible to find free kittens on Craigslist, it often isn’t the best option. Craigslist is full of kitten mills and backyard breeders who often charge high prices for unregistered kittens in poor health. If you’re having trouble finding kittens available elsewhere, however, it’s one option to consider.
- Your Local Community: Stay involved in your community to find any kittens going up for adoption. Keep an eye out for local ads in your newspaper or posted around town. You can even send out an ad yourself!
Maine Coon adoption is a much cheaper option than buying a Maine Coon from a breeder.
While it can be quite difficult to locate one of these beautiful cats at a shelter, it’s incredibly rewarding to help a Maine Coon find a forever home with you!
Ex Breeding Maine Coon For Sale
It is possible to find a cheaper Maine Coon if you search for Maine Coons who have been retired from breeding.
Maine Coon Retired Cats For Sale
Searching for retired show cats is another way you can find Maine Coons for cheaper than usual.