A well-cared-for and healthy Maine Coon needs more than a simple brushing, which is why it is important to know the best cat toothpaste for Maine Coons.
Healthy teeth support a healthy cat, so make sure you read our Maine Coon teeth guide to discover the best dental products and practices for your feline.
Feline dental care is key for supporting overall health. Toothpaste and toothbrushes that have been specifically designed for cats are the best choices for Maine Coons. These products have intriguing flavors that Maine Coons love, and no toxic ingredients. Toothpaste containing enzymatic formula helps remove plaque.
Do you know how, when, and why you should be brushing your Maine Coons’ teeth?
If not, our article has you covered so make sure you read on to learn everything there is to know about cleaning a Maine Coon cat’s teeth.
Best Cat Toothpaste For Maine Coons
Maine Coon cats stand out from many of their feline relatives due to their stunning looks, friendly temperament, and extra-large size.
These gentle giants exhibit a unique balance of social and wild characteristics that have increased their popularity among cat lovers across the world, in recent years.
The Maine Coon cat breed’s rich history of hunting and surviving the harsh winter climates of Maine, in the United States has helped this cat breed to develop a strong set of teeth.
If you are wondering which is the best cat toothpaste for Maine Coons, here are five great options to consider:
- Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste (View on Amazon)
- Arm & Hammer for Pets Dental Kit for Cats (View On Amazon)
- Vetoquinol Enzadent Enzymatic Toothpaste For Cats (Buy On Amazon)
- Petsmile Professional Pet Toothpaste (Shop on Amazon)
- Oxyfresh Premium Toothpaste (Buy On Amazon)
Let’s take a closer look at each of these cat toothbrush and toothpaste options to determine what makes them so good:
1. Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste
This toothpaste has been a favorite for vets and pets for over 30 years.
Their enzymatic formula does an excellent job removing plaque while unique flavors like seafood keep your cat intrigued.
2. Arm & Hammer for Pets Dental Kit for Cats
Arm & Hammer sells all-in-one kits that are ideal for your Maine Coons dental care needs.
These kits make it easy for cat owners to get started since they include the following items:
- Finger Brush
The ingredients used for this toothpaste are considered pet safe.
The added baking soda is also great for keeping your Maine Coons breath smelling fresh.
3. Vetoquinol Enzadent Enzymatic Toothpaste for Cats
Enzadent is another effective option for enzymatic toothpaste.
The brand is open about its ingredients, all of which are currently considered pet safe and contribute to a significant amount of bacteria breakdown.
4. Petsmile Professional Pet Toothpaste
With endorsement from the Veterinary Oral Health Council, it is no surprise that Petsmile is a popular option amongst Maine Coon cat owners.
This toothpaste comes in fun cat-focused flavors like rotisserie chicken and it has studies supporting its effectiveness.
5. Oxyfresh Premium Toothpaste
This enzyme-free option boasts more natural ingredients than some of the others listed above.
The active ingredient in this toothpaste help supports fresh breath with an odorless and tasteless formula.
Do You Need To Brush Cat Teeth?
Cats’ dental care may not be as widely talked about as dogs’ dental care, but the fact of the matter is that you do need to brush your Maine Coons teeth.
By 6 months of age, Maine Coons have 30 permanent teeth. Read more about this here.
As Maine Coons age their teeth build plaque which can compound if not cleaned regularly.
Excess plaque results in forms of Maine Coon cat dental disease, including:
- Tooth Resorption
- Periodontal Disease
These conditions can have a lifelong impact on your cat’s health, but many are preventable with proper care.
How Often Are You Supposed To Brush Your Cat’s Teeth?
To prevent the onset of dental diseases, your Maine Coon should have their teeth brushed at least 2 to 4 times each week, preferably once a day.
If your cat is comfortable with having their teeth brushed, you can attempt to clean its teeth daily as long as the toothpaste or brush is not causing them irritation.
Here are some other ways to keep your Maine Coon clean.
What Type Of Toothpaste Is Best For Cats?
Cat-safe toothpaste can be divided into two main categories:
Enzymatic toothpaste contains enzymes that naturally help to reduce bacteria which results in less plaque and better-smelling breath.
These enzymes are generally similar to those that naturally exist in your pet’s mouth, so this form of toothpaste lends support to natural dental care functions even though it is a manufactured substance.
Natural toothpaste is defined by its lack of controversial and manufactured ingredients.
This toothpaste tends to contain plant-based ingredients known to help break down plaque and fight bacteria.
How To Brush A Maine Coons Teeth?
Even the highest quality toothpaste will not be helpful if it is not used correctly.
Here’s how to train your cat to enjoy having their teeth brushed:
- Start Young and Move Slowly: If possible, it is best to acclimate your cat to teeth brushing whilst they are young. This will make the next steps much easier for both parties.
- Desensitize: Cuddle your cat and reward them as you gently pet and probe their mouth. This should help them feel more comfortable with you touching their teeth. Never force your Maine Coon to have their teeth touched, as any positive reinforcement achieved will be lost.
- The Finger Toothbrush: Introduce a finger toothbrush to your cat, associating it with treats and play. Once your cat is comfortable with this item and their teeth being touched, you can gently start to brush their teeth.
- Cat Toothpaste: If you have not been using cat toothpaste as an enticing reward, it is time to start by adding it to your finger toothbrush. Cat toothpaste comes in many flavors and finding one your cat likes can make a big difference.
- Cat Toothbrushes: Once the finger brush and toothpaste are accepted by your Maine Coon, move onto a cat toothbrush to reach more of your cat’s teeth, at different angles. Just make sure the brush you choose is cat friendly.
- Build A Routine: Continue to reinforce this event with rewards and make dental hygiene a regular part of your cat’s life. Your effort will achieve great benefits.
Best Natural Cat Toothpaste
Natural toothpaste can be a reassuring option since it only contains natural ingredients that will not harm your cat. And, the primary ingredients are something you can actually pronounce!!
Below is a great natural cat toothpaste that your Maine Coon will love:
1. Oxyfresh Premium Toothpaste
This natural cat toothpaste contains some preservatives to maintain its shelf life.
However, this cat toothpaste also contains natural ingredients like aloe and chamomile, yet still manages to stay flavor-free!
Homemade Cat Toothpaste
Homemade cat toothpaste is not so commonly discussed.
This is because whilst there are many homemade cat toothpaste recipe ideas available online, only a few studies exist that back up these recipe’s claims of safety and effectiveness.
Before researching how to make cat toothpaste, it is best to run this topic by your veterinarian. They may have some helpful recommendations for avoiding dangerous or ineffective mixtures.
Best Cat Toothpaste For Tartar
Below are two great choices if you are looking for cat toothpaste specifically designed to tackle tartar.
These cat toothpaste options include:
1. Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste
This is recommended due to its long-standing success in the market and effective enzyme formula which supports the breakdown of plaque.
2. Petsmile Professional Pet Toothpaste
This is another major cat toothpaste brand since it is supported by the Veterinary Oral Health Council for plaque reduction.
Since tartar is a buildup of plaque these toothpaste brands are most effective when used preventively or after a dental cleaning. This is because they help to prevent new plaque from forming after tartar has been removed.
Best Cat Toothpaste For Gingivitis
Gingivitis is the result of plaque buildup in the mouth. For this reason, any cat toothpaste that is easy to use and effective is a great option.
Arm & Hammer sells a dental kit for cats on Amazon which includes toothpaste with enzymatic functions. The kit also contains a cat toothbrush and finger brush that can be used in conjunction with the cat toothpaste.
This cat dental set has been designed specifically for cats and helps you get to gingivitis-causing plaque, in hard-to-reach places.
At first, regular tooth brushing may seem intimidating to both you and your Maine Coon, but with practice, it can be an opportunity to bond while supporting your cat’s health.
In this article you will have seen the best cat toothpaste for Maine Coons, so you are now all set to buy a Maine Coon kitten or cat and care for their dental hygiene needs in the best way.