When I first purchased our Maine Coon kitten, I honestly never expected to be spending quite as long researching every different type of extra large cat litter tray available on the market! I naively assumed that cat litter trays were all pretty much the same thing … how wrong could I have been?!
Anyhow, whilst it definitely isn’t the most fascinating of subjects to read about, I was surprised to realise that there was more to cleaning cat poops than I had first expected. Therefore, if you want to do the research yourself, feel free! Alternatively, you can save yourself time, effort, and money by learning from my research on the best extra large cat litter trays available in 2020.
Ideal Cat Litter Tray
Ultimately, the most important factors to consider when purchasing a litter tray are as follows:
- Extra Large: Maine Coons grow anywhere up to 25lbs, and 40 inches in length, so buying a standard-sized cat litter tray is a false economy. Your kitten will quickly outgrow the tray.
- Hooded: Keep cat litter smells contained, by opting for a hooded tray. Also more visually appealing, and stops the spread of dangerous litter particles around your home.
- Easy To Clean: Look for trays that can be cleaned quickly, and easily.
Owners should always be prepared when trying a new litter tray on their feline companion since some Maine Coon cats are fussy regarding the type of litter tray they use. Some cats are even fussy about the type of litter they stand on, and poop into! Therefore, always approach the situation with patience, and don’t give up!
Best Litter Trays
Some Maine Coons are fussier than others, however, after many hours of research and reading far too many articles about cats pooping, I have concluded that my three favorite jumbo sized litter trays are as follows:
1. Catit Jumbo Hooded Litter Tray
My number one choice of cat litter trays is the Catit Jumbo Hooded litter tray. It is currently discounted on Amazon, so grab your bargain now (click here for discounted litter tray price).
- Length: 22.4 inches
- Height: 18.3 inches
- Width: 17 inches
- Door opening: 10.4 x 9.6 inches
Why do I love this cat litter tray though?
- Extra-large: One of the largest cat litter trays available.
- Door Size: Extra large swing door on cat litter tray.
- Adequate Height: Male Maine Coons can grow up to 16 inches in height, therefore this litter tray gives a Maine Coon enough room to sit comfortably whilst they do their business.
- Easy To Clean: The swing door on this tray makes the unit easier to keep clean.
Don’t forget to buy these jumbo-sized cat litter tray liners on Amazon too, because standard liners will not fit.
2. Petmate Booda Dome
If you are looking for a slightly more flashy-looking cat litter tray (if that really exists, that is!), then consider ordering one of these Petmate Booda Domes. I love the look of these cat litter trays (available on Amazon) because they remind me of mini igloos!
- Measures: 21 x 21 Inches (height by diameter)
- Door Size: Approximately 7.5 inches wide x 13-inch high floor
- Internal measurements: Approximately 12 inches wide x 21 inches long.
I particularly like this litter tray because:
- A cat can do their business in private.
- Keeps litter in the tray, rather than on the floor.
- Includes filter that absorbs cat poop smells.
- Available in a range of colors.
- Easy to clean
- Trusted brand name
3. Automatic Cat Litter Tray
Take away the hassle of cleaning your Maine Coons poops up, by using an automatic cat litter tray like this one. They are available on Amazon, and currently heavily discounted, so if you act now by clicking the link you will be able to access the last few days of the supplier’s offer.
Reasons why I love this automatic litter tray:
- Hooded: Helps keep the cat’s litter and poop odors inside the tray.
- Hassle-Free: Keeps the inconvenience of cleaning up your cat’s litter to a minimum.
- Automatic: No scooping, cleaning, or refilling required.
- Crystal Litter: Limit odors, and are 99% dust-free.
For owners that are particularly concerned about the hydration/dehydration levels of their feline, there is a health counter that tracks the frequency that the litter is used.
Recommended Litter Equipment
Whilst researching the subject thoroughly, I found the following two associated cat litter tools that may prove useful for Maine Coon owners:
1. Litter Cabinet
If you don’t like the look of a cat litter tray (who actually does?!) then give one of these visually appealing large cat litter cabinets a go.
Not only are these spacious storage cabinets a great way of hiding your cat’s litter tray, but they also come in a variety of colors to match your home decor, and really help to limit the amount of cat litter that spreads across your home.
An added bonus is that they can also be used as a bench! Seriously, what’s not to love about these?!
2. Litter Mat
Avoid litter particles spreading around your home, by purchasing a jumbo litter mat like this one on Amazon. These mats not only have deep grooves and mesh material that is great at catching loose litter but is also made from extra thick PVC material that is less prone to ripping.
These mats are particularly important if you have young children since litter can severely damage your babies’ eyes, or even blind them. I personally wasn’t prepared to take the risk with my children coming into contact with cat litter, so source one of these mats immediately.
Who knew there was so much to consider when purchasing a cat litter tray for your Maine Coon cat?!
Take a look at each of my recommendations, and determine which suits you best.