Maine Coons are awesome cats, so they deserve badass Maine Coon names! But, naming a cat can be a lot of pressure and many owners wonder where to start. So, how do you pick the right name for your Maine Coon kitten?
The goal of this article is to relieve some of that pet naming stress by giving you some ideas and inspiration.
When trying to come up with a badass name for your Maine Coon, you can consider things like personality, color, or even just things that you like. You could also consider cats that have been made famous in pop culture or in mythology. This will leave you with tons of badass options like Ninja, Phoenix, or Batman.
We are going to go over 100 different name options for your Maine Coon.
You can either use these names as inspiration or take one directly off of this list if you find a name that you love!
Keep reading to discover the best Maine Coon cat names on the planet that you cannot help but love, including great male names, female Maine Coon names, names based on fur color, and more!
20 Badass Maine Coon Names
No one is exactly sure about the origins of the Maine Coon cat.
Some people think they are a mix of a raccoon and a domesticated cat; whereas others think they are a combination of a bobcat and a domesticated cat.
But, what we do know is that these cats are super cool!
Maine Coon cats are the largest domesticated cat breed in the world, and they are so much fun to own.
They are excellent hunters but are more commonly known for their rather gentle and sweet cats who love spending time with their human families.
You can adopt or buy a Maine Coon cat in a variety of colors (including these 75 colors).
One thing is for sure, these cats need badass names to go with how cool they are!
So let us now take a look at 20 great Maine Coon cat name options, to get you started:
- Huntress/Hunter: Maine Coons are known to be great hunters.
- Thunder: This name would be ironic, as Maine Coons are definitely not loud felines!
- Ninja: Maine Coons, like ninjas, are known to hop around stealthily from perch to perch.
- Maine-iac: This name is a really cool play on the word ‘maniac’.
- Lion: What is more badass than naming your cat after the king of the jungle?
- Boss: Because we all know that our cats are really the boss at home!
- Hulk: These cats are the largest domesticated cat breed in the world, so it makes sense to name them after one of the largest superheroes.
- Bigfoot: Another big, furry, super cool creature.
- Beast: Whether it is a reference to ‘Beauty and the Beast’, or you are just calling your cat a beast, this is a really great name.
- Goliath: Another name that really highlights the unique size of your furry friend.
- Magnus: The Latin word for ‘great’, perfect for these amazing felines.
- Aslan: The famous lion from ‘The Chronicles of Narnia’.
- Bandit: Because cats are known to steal things!
- Saber: Why not name your Maine Coon after the Saber-toothed tiger!
- Phantom: Another word for ghost; perfect for cats who like sneaking around.
- Lightning: A great option for super speedy cats.
- Lynx: A wild cat that actually looks very similar to a Maine Coon.
- Yeti: This name is perfect if you live in a colder climate.
- Thor: What is more badass than the god of thunder?
- Yoda: Cats are said to be wise, just like this master Jedi.
Badass Female Cat Names
Maybe you know that you are getting a female Maine Coon cat and want to get a badass female name to match?
Below you will find ten great names, mostly based on cat-related or just really cool characters:
- Bagheera: The panther from ‘The Jungle Book’.
- Nala: The leading lady in ‘The Lion King’, making her the lion queen.
- Cleopatra: Queen of Egypt who owned many cats.
- Shadow: Great for black cats or cats that like to sneak around.
- Sassy: Perfect for cats with a little bit of extra attitude.
- Zelda: After ‘The Legend of Zelda’ which has several cat characters.
- Stormy: A more feminine version of names such as ‘Thunder’.
- Catwoman: The totally awesome DC superhero with the reflexes and senses of a cat.
- Rizzo: Character from ‘Grease’.
- Artemis: The greek goddess of hunting, wild animals, and the wilderness.
Badass Male Cat Names
On the other hand, you may want a more masculine-sounding cat name, so here are ten great options if that is the case for you:
- Machete: A blade used by many Jungle adventurers.
- Rocky: Famous boxer from the Rocky franchise.
- Spike: Inspired by the Maine Coon’s spike-like claws.
- Scar: The name of the villain from ‘The Lion King’.
- Bruiser: Great for cats and kittens that like to wrestle and rough house.
- Claw: Because they have sharp claws!
- Wolverine: The badass superhero with razor-sharp claws that come out of his hands.
- Azrael: The name associated with the ‘Angel of Death’ in several different religions.
- Blade: Could be a reference to their speed, sharp teeth, or sharp claws.
- Razor: The first time your cat takes his claws to your furniture, you will understand this one.
Cute Badass Cat Names
Is it possible to have a name that is cute, whilst still sounding badass? …Yes!
Here are ten adorable but really cool names that you could choose for your cat:
- Trixie: A cute name, but still great for cats with some sass and spunk.
- Harley: Sounds sweet, but makes a great reference to ‘Harley Davidson motorcycles’.
- Po: The main character in the ‘Kun Fu Panda’ movies.
- Simba: The main character from ‘The Lion King’.
- Cleo: If you want to reference Cleopatra, but a little less directly.
- Boo: Works great for black or white cats.
- Boots: An absolutely adorable name for cats, and can be a reference to the movie ‘Puss in Boots’.
- Ghost: Because cats are often associated with Halloween too.
- Scout: Perfect for the cat who is always perched by the window and on the lookout.
- Moon: So many cats seem to become most active right when you are ready to go to sleep.
Badass Warrior Cat Names
There is a beloved series of books called the ‘Warrior Cats’, and they have some really cool names so make sure you take a look!
There are tons of different cats mentioned throughout the series, but here are ten great names from the series to get you started:
- Ashfur: One of the major antagonists of the series.
- Firestar: Leader of the ThunderClan and prophesied to save the ThunderClan.
- Whitestorm: Considered one of the wisest warriors in ThunderClan.
Gangster Cat Names
Gangster and badass are often used interchangeably, so if you are looking for a name that makes your cat seem like a gangster cat, we have some great ideas for you!
These names are all related to things that a gangster might wear, do, have, or just descriptive words for gangsters:
- Baby Gangster
Badass Cat Names For Orange Cats
If you are struggling to pick out a name for your cat, consider a name that goes with their fur color.
Most of the following names describe things that are orange, many of which are related to fire. Fire-related names are really cool for pretty much any orange animal there is.
Below are some good names if you have an orange cat:
Badass Names For Black Cats
Sticking with that color theme, there are tons of really cool names for black cats, but here is a list narrowed down to just ten really great black Maine Coon names.
Here are just 10 names to get you started, without overwhelming you!.
A lot of these names are things that are black, but there are also names like Voodoo, Salem, Dracula, and Lucifer that are just ‘dark’ names that go well with the color black:
- Black Widow
Badass Names For Black And White Cats
If you have a black and white cat, you could pick one of the names from the previous section for black cats, but it can be fun to play into the fact that your cat is in multiple colors.
Many of the following cat names are based on other things that are black and white, like Pandas and Oreos.
Whereas the other names are more focused on the fact that your cat has two colors. So, these names would also work great if your cat is multi-colored but with a different combination like orange and white.
Badass Grey Cat Names (Gray)
There are also some really cool names if your cat is ‘grey’, which many Maine Coons are (OR ‘gray’ Maine Coons, if you are an American reading this).
Some of these names are characters associated with the color grey/gray. The other names listed are objects that are grey or just thought of to be grey.
Take a look at these ten great options:
Badass Japanese Cat Names
Picking a Japanese cat name not only sounds really cool but it can also be a great conversation starter when your friends ask you what your cat’s name means.
Many of the names listed below are the Japanese terms for other names that have been talked about previously in this article:
- Dai: Means great or large.
- Katsu: Means victory.
- Nori: Means to rule.
- Amaya: Means night rain.
- Monterio: Means big boy.
- Kuma: Means bear.
- Raion: Means lion.
- Kasumi: Means fog.
- Tora: Means tiger.
- Takeo: Means warrior hero.
The good news is that there are so many great badass Maine Coon name ideas out there.
Hopefully, you were able to find one that you absolutely love on this list or at least find inspiration for the perfect name for your cat.
In the end, whether you picked a name based on your cat’s color, personality, or even just a name that you think sounds cool, we know that you picked the perfect name for your badass furry friend!
Spiritual Cat Names
For many different cultures, cats have a lot of spiritual importance. They are often related to magic, gods, or sometimes are even gods themselves.
If you want to go the spiritual route when naming your cat, a good place to start is by looking into cats in mythology (Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc.).
Read up on some stories and pick a name or story that resonates with you.
Funny Cat Names
Perhaps you are looking for more of a silly or funny name for your cat.
A great place to start if you are looking for a funny name is cat cartoon characters. For instance, you could name your cat Garfield!
You could also consider picking a name that is a pun such as Abitail, Catmilla, or Jessicat.
Overall, puns are a great way to try and add some silliness to your cat’s name.
Majestic Cat Names Male
As far as majestic cat names go, generally, longer names sound more majestic than shorter names, so start considering longer names that you like.
Consider names like Alfonso or Frederick!
You could also consider names that are associated with royalty, because what is more majestic than Kings. Examples include Alexander or Augustus.
Badass Bengal Cat Names
Bengal cats are adorable cats that almost look like mini leopards because of their spots, and they actually are wilder than many other domesticated cat breeds.
Because of this, you could pick a name that really plays on that trait like:
Because both Bengal cats and Maine Coon cats are known to be larger or wilder cat types, many of the names on this list given for Maine Coons can also work great for Bengal cats.
All cat owners know how absolutely awesome cats are, and Maine Coons are definitely one of the most unique species of domesticated cats there are.
Because of this, it makes sense that you want to be sure to find the perfect name for your new fluffy friend.